Mei Tai is Finished!



I am so pleased that I have finished my first ever Mei Tai, an asian style baby carrier. After looking on the net for a pattern I liked and was so unsuccessful that I designed my own. It took me a good part of a week to draw it on paper. In the end I changed again it when I had the material.

The material was an absolute bargin. On Sunday I went, with 2 friends Ilse and Diane, to a Stoffen Spektakel (an indoor material market) that was in Antwerpen. There was so much on offer from material for wedding dresses to material for quilts and prices to suit everyones pocket. My material I got is a heavy cotton, the weight of a pair of jeans, and some pretty cotton print. Overall I got 5.5 mts for 13.50 euro!

As soon I got home on the Sunday afternoon I cut out my pattern and then first thing Monday morning Charlie and I went to get some extra strong thread. By Monday evening I had most of it completed with just the body to finish. The head rest part of the carrier really stumped me. I wasn't sure whether to keep it square, round, have none at all or to make it triangle shape. In the end I went with a rounded shape and I think it looks good.

Poor Charlie has been in it so many times just so I can see how it feels! His favourite position is on my front with his hands tucked in. He snuggles in for a cuddle! It is so comfortable. Charlie weighes between 11 - 12 kg now but all the weight seems to be spread evenly over the carrier so no one place feels strained. I fell so pleased that I did it. They only thing is I wish I had discovered it when Charlie was smaller, then I could have used it more!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proficiat Jodi !! De Mei tai is echt super ! Knap werk.

Een mooie start van een nieuwe carriere, The Gingernut crafts label?

xxx

MariecusBruyn said...

Dat ziet er handig uit! Ik zit nu meestal te sukkelen met een draagdoek die rondgeslagen moet worden...
Heb je knap gemaakt!